Spiralizing Carrots and Yummy Lunch Ideas
Carrots are known for their refreshing taste and vibrant color profile that gives a unique aesthetic appeal to your meals. Carrots are rich in flavonoids, pigments and antioxidants. Research and clinical study indicates that carrots are helpful in improving the vision and eye-sight. Carrots are pretty convenient to spiralize for a number of reasons. These are available throughout the year and have a decent shelf life. You can refrigerate it or even freeze it for weeks without having to worry about the taste quality. It is imperative to mention that if you are looking to get the best carrot spirals, get the fresh unfrozen carrots that are at least 6 inches (or more in length) and less than 2 inches in thickness. Here we have provided some easy steps to spiralize the carrots.
Steps to spiralize the carrots:
- Wash the carrots thoroughly and drain the water. Make sure the carrots are completely dry before starting the spiralizing process.
- Slice off the top of the carrot (or green head). You can peel the outer skin with a sharp knife; but you don’t have to if you are low on time.
- Push the carrot in the spiralizer with one hand and hold the other end of carrot to start the spiralizing. Make sure to twist the carrot and not the spiralizer (like sharpening a pencil).
- Use the cap or spiralizer when carrot is considerably small.
- After you are done, wash the spiralizer with the brush provided in the package.
What can you do with spiralized carrots?
Spiralizing not only increases the surface area of your carrot but also makes it easier to feed younger children (who are more interested in noodles and spirals than the carrot itself). Additionally, you can incorporate spiralized carrot in a variety of dishes, such as salads, soups and appetizers. Here are a few recipes to stimulate your taste-buds:
Lemon-Garlic Carrot Noodles Salad
- Cut off the bottoms of asparagus and then shave to peel the skin off. Cut the tips as well.
- Take a pan, add olive oil and place on medium heat, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add asparagus tips, carrot noodles and lemon juice in the pan and toss occasionally.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes after adding shaved asparagus and almonds.
- Serve in plates with feta, celery and mint topping.
Carrot Noodles Salad Wrap
- Prepare carrot and cucumber noodles from the method discussed above.
- In a bowl, mix minced garlic, lemon juice, feta cheese, olive oil, chopped mint and blanched almonds. Set this mixture aside.
- Now spread the pita bread on the serving plate and apply the mixture on the pita bread.
- Arrange your veggies on the pita bread (carrot noodles, cucumber noodles, asparagus, onion and avocado slices).
- Fold the wrap, secure the sides and serve fresh.
Carrot Noodles With Beef Stroganoff
- Cook both sides of steaks in olive oil for 2minutes each and set aside.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, when onions get soft, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Combine steaks (cooked), red wine, broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, mustard, salt, paprika and pepper and boil the mixture, when boiled add coconut milk and bring to simmer until thickens.
- Prepare carrot noodles by peeling, spiralizing with a Spiral Slicer. Keep the noodles refrigerated until required.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil in heated pan, followed with carrot noodles salt and pepper. Seal the pan to cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Serve carrot noodles in bowls with beef stroganoff and garnished with parsley.
Carrot noodles with Crunchy Lamb Ragu
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a pan on medium heat and cook until the lamb gets brown. Add the next 4 ingredients and cook for 5 minutes until all the liquid evaporates.
- Add tomato paste with constant stirring. Boil after adding tomatoes and stock. Once boiled, lower the heat to simmer until thickens.
- Prepare the carrot noodles by technique discussed above. Add olive oil in pan and add noodles in heated oil. Cover to cook for 2 - 4 minutes with tossing and adding chicken broth occasionally.
- Serve the noodles in bowls with ground lamb and topped with mint.
Try these mouth-watering delicious recipes and feel free to give your own zing to enhance the flavor quality.